I am a PhD student focusing on how people live with chronic conditions and the role that technology plays in their lives.
My research interests include:
- Healthcare technologies, especially for the self-care of chronic conditions
- Knowledge production practices of patients and carers
- Technology for older people
More about me
I am interested in learning about people and how they use technology. My projects are usually at the intersection of computer science, medicine, design, and social sciences. I am an expert in ethnographically informed design, user-centred design, and participatory design approaches.
During the PhD, I have studied how patients and carers live with Parkinson's disease, to understand how to design self-care technologies that fits their everyday life. I used ethnographic methods to understand the lived experience with the condition, and compared those insights with the opportunities that are being supported by existing technologies.
For more information refer to my (almost updated) CV.
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- twitter: @xico_nunes
- academic networks: Researchgate, Google Scholar, Academia
- Nunes, F., and Fitzpatrick, G. (2015) Self-care Technologies and Collaboration International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 31(12), p. 869-881. DOI
- Nunes, F., Verdezoto, N., Fitzpatrick, G., Kyng, M., Grönvall, E., and Storni, C. (2015) Self-care Technologies in HCI: Trends, Tensions, and Opportunities, ACM Transactions on Computer Human Interaction, 22(6), article 33, p. 1-45. DOI
- Güldenpfennig, F., Nunes, F., and Fitzpatrick, G. (2015) Proxycare: Integrating informal care into formal settings, in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare, p. 141-144. DOI (15% acceptance rate)
- Nunes, F., Silva, P. A., Cevada, J., Barros, A. C., Teixeira, L. (2015) User Interface Design Guidelines for Smartphone Applications for People With Parkinson’s Disease, Universal Access in the Information Society, 16(2), p. 1-22. DOI
- Kerwin, M., Nunes, F., and Silva, P. A. (2012) Dance Don’t Fall – Preventing Falls and Promoting Exercise at Home, in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Wearable Micro and Nano Technologies for Personalized Health (pHealth 2012), p. 254-259. DOI
- Güldenpfennig, F., Nunes, F., Ganglbauer, E., and Fitzpatrick, G. (2016) Making Space to Engage: An Open-ended Exploration of Technology Design with Older Adults, International Journal of Mobile Human Computer Interaction, 8(2), p. 1-19. DOI