I have been active in many national and EU-funded R&D projects in the area of rehabilitation engineering as a research assistant at the Vienna University of Technology. I concentrated on assistive devices for the disabled and old, electronics and informatics to help disabled persons. During the last years the focus of my work shifted to assistive robotics and smart assistive environments for the elderly (AAL).
My research interests include:
- speech input and output technology and dialogue management for multi-modal, active user interfaces
- smart sensors, open and privacy aware (embedded) platform solutions
- transdisciplinary, applied research.
More about me
I am interested in making technology help people in real life, and love to develop solutions together with prospective users. My projects cover a wide range from Assistive Technology to Active and Assisted Living solutions, at the intersection of computer science, robotics, design, and social sciences.
- Panek, P., Mayer, P. (2014) Towards a Multi-modal User Interface for an Affordable Assistive Robot 8th International Conference, UAHCI 2014 Held as Part of HCI International 2014, Heraklion; 22.06.2014 - 27.06.2014; in: "Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction", Lecture Notes in Computer Science 8515, (2014), S. 680 - 691. *Fischinger, D., Einramhof, P., Papoutsakis, K., Wohlkinger, W., Mayer, P., Panek, P., Hofmann, S., Körtner, T., Weiss, A., Argyros, A., Vincze, M. Hobbit, a care robot supporting independent living at home: First prototype and lessons learned Robotics and Autonomous Systems, DOI: 10.1016/j.robot.2014.09.029 (2014), DOI: 10.1016/j.robot.2014.09.029.
- Panek, P., Mayer, P. (2015) Challenges in Adopting Speech Control for Assistive Robots "Ambient Assisted Living", Advanced Technologies and Societal Change; R. Wichert, H. Klausnig (Hrg.); Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 2015, ISBN: 978-3-319-11865-9, S. 3 - 14.
- Mayer, P., Panek, P. (2016) Sollten Assistenzroboter eine "Persönlichkeit" haben? Zum Potential von simplifizierten Roboter-Persönlichkeiten Zeitschrift für Gerontologie und Geriatrie (eingeladen), 49 (2016), 4; S. 298 - 302.
- Panek, P., Mayer, P. (2016) Applying ICT to ease the toilet usage Vortrag: 10th World Conference of Gerontechnology ISG2016, Nice, France; 28.09.2016 - 30.09.2016; in: "10th World Conference of Gerontechnology", Gerontechnology, 15 (2016), S. 22 - 23.